About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is David McDonald and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Secondary Education with concentration in Social Sciences. I have coached football and soccer at Murphy High School the past three years and hope to teach there after I graduate.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Week 10 Blog Post

Morgan Bayda: An Open Letter To Education
I could not agree more with Morgan Bayda's experience as a college student. I myself have gone through the very same things while here at South. So often do I sit in a classroom and listen to long drawn out lectures jotting down frantically notes to somehow remember what is being talked about. I often ask myself, while trying to stay awake, why am I even writing this down? Like always I come up with the same answer. I take these notes so that I can pass the next test.

The video by Dan Brown in the blog post was very interesting as well as thought provoking. While I will not go as far as dropping out of school, I do believe that he had some very valid points. It is true that society as a whole is quickly evolving while the institution of education continues to sit there piddling around falling further and further behind. About a month ago my dad was asking me about how class was held and what took place during class and when I told him he gave a somewhat of a smile. Then he told me how when he was in college thirty years ago class took place exactly the same. I found that kind of disturbing. Now I know most teachers use powerpoints to read facts to us, but really how is that any different than reading facts from a blackboard besides the fact that powerpoints are more appealing to the eye? I find myself at times thinking that the only thing my institutionalized education is getting me is a degree so that I can have a profession. Like Dan Brown said, information is now free and anyone can access that. So what does that mean to me? Does it mean I am racking up thousands of dollars in debt just so that I can receive a piece of paper called a degree allowing me to become a teacher?

3 comments:

  1. I can tell you, having entered college for the first time 20 years ago, that it has not changed much. I was very nervous returning to college last semester that I would be so far behind because of all of the new technology. I was surprised to find that college had not changed much at all. I empathize with you about racking up debt to receive a piece of paper called a degree. It does seem that way sometimes. I hope we can use technology once we get into the classroom to engage and teach our students in ways they are more familiar with than we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you change the system from the outside? Will your degree give you more of a voice to change what you perceive to be less than valuable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you. I attended South Alabama 12 years ago for the first time. I was excited to come back to school to attain my degree in Education thinking things would be a little different this time...more interesting? NO! There has been no change in the presentation of material. This class is the FIRST class I have had hands on interaction with the work assigned. I think schooling needs to be overhauled and make it worth your time and money to attend and actually leave having real knowledge of things.

    ReplyDelete