About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is David McDonald and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Secondary Education with concentration in Social Sciences. I have coached football and soccer at Murphy High School the past three years and hope to teach there after I graduate.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Week 1 Post

Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch
To me, this video was not only very informative but also shocking at times. Some of the numbers and facts that were shown were mind blowing. It seems crazy to think by the time some students graduate from college, the things they learned their first year will be outdated or that the top in demand jobs of 2010 were not even around just six years ago. It really shows how far and how quickly technology is growing.

One thing that did bother me about the video is how quickly the United States is falling behind China and India. It is odd to think that soon China will have the most english speaking people. Even more astonishing is the fact that India has more honor kids than the United States has kids. It is clear that now the most technological countries will begin to have the most power.

Mr. Winkle Wakes by Matthew Needleman
First of all, I would just like to state how cool I thought this video was. I am excited to know that by the end of the semester I will get to make a video like this. It is something I have always wanted to know how to do. I am glad that I watched this video and that I be able to create something like it.

This video is very clear and to the point. Education is lacking very much so in technology compared to the rest of the world. In a world where we are teaching the young minds who will one day run it, you would think technology in the classroom would be of most importance. But sadly that is not the case. I believe it is classes like EDM 310 that will change this trend of lacking technology in the classroom and will produce more technology literate teachers.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
When I first saw that this video was twenty minutes long I was immediately turned off and was preparing myself for boredom. But as I watched this video my mind was completely changed. I really enjoyed this video.

Sir Ken Robinson could not be more right when it comes to creativity in education. So often is students' creativity hindered in the pursuit of the basic reading, writing, and arithmetic. Students who excel in things such as music and art are so often given an unfair disadvantage in grade school. Robinson brought up many great points in his speech and I completely agree with him.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
Wow. This video was great. The future of education lies in the hands of teacher like Vicki Davis. The things these students are learning to do are things that I wish I could have learned in grade school. With the technology of today, there is no excuse to not have more classrooms through out the United States like this one.

One thing I liked the most about this video is how Vicki Davis let the students teach the class at times. The most important thing got out of this was when she said, "So many teachers think I have to know everything before I teach it and that is the absolutely wrong thing to think". In todays world of technology it is often that students know much more about it than the teachers do. The classroom should not only be a learning experience for the students but also for the teachers. There is so much we can learn from kids today and this video is the perfect example of that.

3 comments:

  1. David,

    You made good points about Vickie Davis's classroom and how she sees education. That is the model Dr. Strange is implementing in this course. What do see as things that you would do in your classroom when you become a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the best thing for me to do in my classroom would be to implement the way this class is taught as well as Vicki Davis's classroom. I have learned very quickly in college that I do not know everything. My success as a teacher relies on not only what I learn now but what I can learn from my future students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you made some valid points on Vicki Davis.

    ReplyDelete